Choosing an eco-friendly safari is your chance to help make a positive impact on wildlife conservation efforts and the well-being of local communities
To positively impact our destination by pioneering best practices for sustainable tourism.
To commit to sustainable tourism practices that benefit our environment, our people and our economy. At the same time, inspire all stakeholders within the supply chain to transform their businesses towards sustainable tourism practices and educate our customers on the importance of responsible tourism.
COMMITMENTS TO SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
Wild Call Tanzania commits to having a Sustainability Director and Coordinator who oversee all sustainability initiatives within the company.
Our Sustainability Mission is communicated to our partners and clients via direct contact and through our website.
We continuously aim to improve our sustainability initiatives through a detailed action plan with time frames and specific goals.
The objective of our Sustainability Policy is to reduce the negative environmental, socio-cultural, and economic impacts with each itinerary we create.
We commit to conducting a baseline assessment that outlines Wild Call Tanzania’s’ sustainable practices.
We ensure that our employees are paid fair wages and working conditions are excellent.
We aim to monitor and evaluate all of our sustainability initiatives and document all necessary processes.
We ensure that all our employees are aware of our sustainability policy and pledge to implement and improve it.
We pledge to be transparent about all of our sustainability initiatives by publicly reporting and communicating them with our clients and partners.
We commit to complying with all national legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
INTERNAL MANAGEMENT: SOCIAL POLICY & HUMAN RIGHTS
All employees are granted the freedom of employment and are allowed to terminate their employment contract at any time with one month notice without penalty.
Each employee has a job description that clearly outlines their responsibilities and what is expected of them. These job descriptions are also used for hiring future employees.
The monthly salary is stated in the employment contract and is above the national legal wage.
Overtime working hours are compensated accordingly and an overtime hourly rate is agreed upon signing an employment contract with Wild Call Tanzania Ltd.
Medical and Liability Insurance are provided as per Tanzanian Law.
Annual leave of 28 days per year is granted to every employee.
A comprehensive health and safety policy is in place that protects all employees and complies with OSHA standards.
First aid kits are available at all Wild Call Tanzania offices and in all safari cars.
Wild Call Tanzania does not employ any persons under the age of 18 as per Tanzanian Law.
A formal procedure is in place for all WIld Call employees to bring up any grievances, complaints, etc.
A formal disciplinary procedure is in place and all employees are aware of it.
Wild Call does not restrict trade union membership, collective labour negotiations and representation of members by trade unions.
Wild Call does not discriminate in regards to recruitment, conditions of employment, access to training and senior positions. In addition, we do not discriminate against gender, race, age, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
All employees have access to personal development through regular training and educational resources provided by Wild Call Tanzania Safaris Ltd.
INTERNAL MANAGEMENT: ENVIRONMENT AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Wild Call Tanzania Safaris commits to environmental issues and community relations by:
- Pledging to reduce the use of single-use plastic and other non-recyclable disposable goods.
- Wherever possible, purchasing local sustainable goods and services, office supplies, and safari ammenities.
- Purchasing office supplies and other such products in bulk to reduce packaging materials
- Implementing an office policy of printing on both sides of paper and using single side printed paper as scrap paper.
- Printing our maps on sustainable paper called Rock paper.
- Sending all brochures are sent electronically to clients and to our partners.
- Committing to reducing energy consumption in our offices in Arusha.
- Having a ‘Switch off lights when not in use policy’ and ensure that all lights and air conditioning is switched off after office hours.
- Complying with national legislation in regards to waste disposal.
- Use of refillable water bottles in office water coolers.
- Implementing a recycling scheme that separates paper, plastic, and waste.
- Recycle and properly dispose of all batteries especially car batteries used in our safari vehicles.
- Ensure that all harmful substances, and chemicals especially in our workshop are properly stored, handled, and disposed of.
- Encourage employees to use public transport or other sustainable means of transport to and from the office.
- Create a policy where tele-working is encouraged instead of long-distance travel.
- Ensure that all company vehicles are regularly checked so as to reduce emissions and pollution.
- Provide periodic training to all employees on the sustainability practices and initiatives Wild Call Tanzania is involved in.
It is important to Wild Call that our key partners are aware of our ongoing sustainability initiatives, we aim to inform and educate our key partners of these so that we can make Takims Holidays a more sustainable business. We do so by:
- Sharing our current sustainability practices with our partners including accommodations and excursions.
- Educating and offering trainings on how they can apply sustainability to their businesses.
- Informing them that Wild Call is obtaining their Travelife certification and how they can assist in this process.
- Working with companies that comply with national labour laws and have fair social policies for their employees.
- Refusing to work with any companies that do not take a stand against sexual exploitation of children within their direct supply chain.
- Including key sustainability clauses in contracts with receptive partners.
- Informing key partners about Wild Call Tanzanias’ sustainability policy and encouraging them to adapt similar strategies.
As Wild Call Tanzania Safaris Ltd specializes in creating bespoke safaris, our cars are an integral part of this service. We aim to incorporate our sustainability policies in our transport division by:
- Buying all of our safari vehicles brand new.
- Ensuring that all our vehicles are regularly checked and serviced.
- Having a policy in place that ensure each safari vehicle undergoes a pre-check before any departure.
- Training our Driver Guides on sustainable driving techniques.
- Ensuring that we take into account the most sustainable way to complete a safari, while taking into account price, comfort, and other practical considerations.
Our accommodation partners are an integral part of the experience we provide to our clients. We prioritize working with partners who have a priority of sustainable energy consumption and minimal environmental impact. Examples include a priority on fully solar energy use, water recycling and sourcing of organic food.
EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Our excursions and activities are created to ensure that animal and community welfare are at the forefront of each one. We commit to this by:
- Ensuring that all of our excursions leave a minimal environmental impact.
- Creating and distributing guides to our clients on behavior standards during excursions and activities with special attention being given to sensitive areas.
- Informing our external excursion providers of the sustainability standards we adhere to.
- By not offering any excursions or activities that harm animals.
- By not offering any excursions or activities that involve captive animals (unless conservation based).
- By not offering any excursions or activities that are hunting-related.
- Supporting local conservation initiatives, such as De-snaring in the Serengeti.
- Ensuring our Driver Guides have excellent knowledge of sensitive cultural sites, heritage sites, and ecologically sensitive destinations.
- Informing our clients of illegal souvenirs.
- Promoting and encouraging our guests on excursions and activities which directly involve and support local communities by purchasing goods or services, traditional crafts and local (food) production methods, or visiting social projects.
DRIVER GUIDES AND LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES
At Wild Call Tanzania Safaris, our Driver Guides are one of the most important parts to the quality of service we give to our clients; therefore, we create a fair and safe working environment for them and only hire local Tanzanians to support the local communities.
We commit to this by:
- Ensuring that all our Driver Guides have a written employment contract, that outlines Tanzanian labor laws. In addition to this, they are all provided with a detailed job description that outlines responsibilities and expectations, as well as paying them equally or above legal minimum and industry standards.
- Working exclusively with other local staff, including tour leaders and representatives and providing the necessary training as required.
- Providing regular trainings to our Driver Guides, including trainings on sustainable driving techniques.
Guarding our destination and its natural attractions is tremendously important towards our goal of sustainable tourism.
CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION AND PROTECTION
Client communication is very important at Takims Holidays and we ensure that we are available to them throughout all steps of the booking process.
Prior to booking, we:
- Ensure that all the employees in our Tours, and Air Travel department follow the correct standard operating procedures for client consultations.
- Ensure that our clients’ information is kept confidential and is protected.
- Make sure that our bespoke itineraries include clear product and price information.
- Include destination information at the end of all of our bespoke itineraries.
- Inform them of our sustainability practices.
After booking, we:
- Have a 24 hours hotline for emergency situations.
- Conduct a pre-safari briefing with all clients to outline their itinerary, address any last minute questions/concerns, and inform them of any codes of conduct such as cultural sensitivity, dress codes, etc.
- Conduct a post-safari briefing to get in person client feedback.
After completion of the safari, we:
- Ensure all our clients fill out a client feedback form.
- Having a complaints procedure in place to track and resolve any complaints that clients may have.